Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Thursday, 23 July 2026

July 23 - Front Row Seats

When our cruise chip docked in Skagway, Lyle and I decided to go the local musical show.  Rather than take the bus excursion from the ship we decided to walk.  We had allowed lots of time and arrived at the theatre quite early.  Seating was on a first come basis and when Lyle asked, I naturally chose the front row.

Front row seating is great for me.  While I can’t see details of faces, costumes, or stage sets, I can still see movement.  I am so grateful for this.  It does add to my enjoyment of most live theatre and movie productions.

This week we are in Cardston, a small town in southern Alberta.  Each summer the local theatre group here stages three different performances.  Usually this involves a musical, a play, and something more geared towards kids.  I love the variety and we always book early so that we can sit near the very front. Because Cardston has a relatively small theatre, all seats are the same price.  I find it unfortunate that in the large city theatres the front row seats are generally much more expensive than other seats in the theatre. While concessions are often made to people with wheelchairs there doesn’t seem to be a similar seating concession for those of us with low vision.

The other night in Cardston, we saw Nice Work If You Can Get It.  The singing, dancing, and acting of the entire cast was very entertaining, and the voices of the two leads were exceptional.  The whole show was a lot of fun.

After the performance the cast members all lined on the sidewalk outside to greet the audience.  I like this close-up interaction with the performers.  In the picture below I am posed between the two lead performers.
 
 
Sue in between two cast members 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment