Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Tuesday 22 May 2012

May 22 - Lacombe, AB

It was great walking in Lacombe today. For one thing, my friend Ron from our local support group came with us to walk and to cheer us on. For another thing, it was a chance to meet Brandon again. I had featured Brandon in my book Ex-sighted, A New Vision, but that was all of ten or so years ago. I remember him then as an energetic schoolboy, who was an absolute computer whiz. Today’s Brandon is still a technology expert and he has grown into a self-assured confident young man of twenty-three.

Brandon was born without sight and has had all of his young lifetime to adjust to this. He has done so by tackling anything and everything he has set his mind to. I remember the first time I visited Brandon’s family in Lacombe. I was quite astounded to learn how active Brandon was. He was quite accustomed to riding his bike and to running around outside. He was even getting ready to go downhill skiing on a school excursion. Of course you can read more about this in Chapter 6 of my book.

Today I learned that Brandon is still using his white cane when he is out and about by himself. He likes to travel and although he likes animals, and indeed there are two dogs on the family acreage, at this point in time Brandon has decided that a guide dog is not for him.

One of Brandon’s pastimes is to play his guitar. He began playing when an instructional course was offered in his Grade 11 high school year and Brandon is now a proficient musician.  Currently Brandon is enrolled in an on-line computer technology course which he hopes to complete by June.

 As a special surprise for Brandon today, Deb - Brandon’s former aide from school days, came to walk and act as his guide. You will see us all in the picture below. 

From left to right, there is Brandon, Deb, myself and my friend, Ron. It was a great day for walking in Lacombe. 


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful young man Brandon, must be.Sometimes when I have an ache or pain I grumble, grumble and spend time on the chesterfield feeling sorry for myself, ,but here is a young person who has conqured and moved forward in his life, just like you, Sue.

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete