Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Monday, 14 September 2026

September 14 - A Lost Art

The older I get and the less I am able to see, the more illegible my handwriting has become. I feel sad about this. Somehow or other, I feel that my writing is part of my identity and now it is disappearing.

I have good memories of seeing the handwriting of several people in my life. My grandmother had a lovely cursive script. I imagine that in her youth she likely used a fountain pen. My mother’s writing was clear and obviously a bit more hurried. When I first moved to Canada, by mother and grandmother wrote to me regularly. I loved those aerogramme letters with so much crammed into the small space that was available.

Recently while I was doing some de-cluttering, I came across a letter written to my father by an old friend of his. The writing was thin and spidery. It brought back memories of the man himself – a small wiry seafaring man. Even the content had a touch of nostalgia as it began with the greeting “Hello old chum”. My father and Ted were good mates who often shared a pint or two whenever they got together.

These days, in many schools throughout the country, writing by hand isn’t taught any more. I know that our grandchildren look at words written in cursive as almost a foreign language. The print on a keyboard has taken over. Indeed, that is how I am writing right now. There are very few occasions when I need to sign my name and even fewer when I would need to write more than just a few words.

There are some benefits to the print produced by a keyboard. There is a consistency to the script and in most cases it is easier to decipher. Nevertheless, I miss the personality of hand writing. Writing by hand has become much of a lost art.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment