Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Tuesday 19 March 2024

March 19 - Morning Coffee


For the past three weeks I have enjoyed my morning coffee at the beach.  It is one of my favourite times of the day.

Lyle and I have been staying at a beach town an hour or so north of Sydney on the east coast of Australia.  Our holiday unit is just over a ten minute walk to the beach itself - and also to my favourite coffee shop.

Freestate Coffee is a very narrow shop.  All ordering is done inside a busy space. The tables and chairs are set up on the sidewalk outside. I like to take my coffee across the street where I can sit at the beach front and watch the waves.

My morning coffee stop has been made even more enjoyable because of the attentiveness of the coffee shop staff.  I think they may have noticed my “Low Vision” identity badge and began giving me special attention.  Generally they greet me by name, remember my coffee order, and are careful when placing the full take-away cup in my hand.  This recognition and special attention has been a great start to my day.

At home, I often enjoy coffee with friends in a variety of places, but these past three weeks have been special.

There is a photo with this post.  I am sitting on a low stone wall in front of
the sandy beach.  In the background the rising sun is just beginning to light up the waves.
 
Sue on the wall in front of the beach

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment