Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Thursday 28 March 2024

March 28 - A Little Road Trip

Last week we travelled from Sydney to Canberra and back.  Canberra is Australia’s capital city and is a great stop for any tourist.

Our trip began with a train ride to Wollongong.  We picked up our rental car at Unanderra and drove on to Kiama, Ulladulla, Mollymook and Bateman’s Bay.  I love the sound of some of those place names.

The road down the coast was scenic but it was our stops that were really great.  Kiama is famous for its blowhole.  It is here that the ocean water surges into a crevice in the rocks.  Because there isn’t enough space for the volume of water, the water then surges up in a mighty fountain-like cascade.  Quite spectacular - especially at high tide.

Our next stop was the beach at Mollymook where you can literally walk for miles at low tide.  We spent the night at Bateman’s Bay, a last stop before the highway turns inland toward Canberra.

I loved all the experiences of the day - the water spray at the blowhole, the sand under my feet at Mollymook and the crab pasta at the Stingray Restaurant at Bateman’s Bay.

I will write more about Canberra in my next post.  There are two pictures with this post today.  The first is at the Kiama Blowhole and the second is of the beach at Mollymook.
 
 
Kiama blowhole

 
Mollymook beach

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment