Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Monday 8 April 2024

April 8 - Familiarity

We are home from our holiday. Although we had a wonderful time, it is good to be back around familiar things again. Until we are actually at home, I don’t think I realize just how much I appreciate the ease of not having to adjust to new things all the time.

I love sleeping in my own bed. Like Goldilocks in the Three Bears, my mattress is not too soft, not too hard, but just right. I like being able to turn the handle of my shower to the right temperature for me, and not having to adapt to different knobs and handles to get the right heat setting every time I step under a different water spout.

I know that Lyle likes to be home so that he doesn’t need to do all the cooking! I am fine with my home stove, microwave, etc. but I struggle with ones that aren’t marked with my tactile buttons. I can do the basics when we are away but generally speaking, Lyle needs to take over for most of the cooking.

Last night as I lay in bed, I reflected that I had even been missing familiar sounds. I like the sound of the chiming of our clock in the living room. If I am awake at four in the morning I even like to hear the train whistle as it regularly passes by down the hill at that time. Of course I miss the audible program on my computer. When we are away, we only take Lyle’s i-Pad and I often just dictate whatever emails I need to send. It’s not the same as typing the words and thoughts myself.

Yes, there is much to be said for the familiarity of home, but having said that, I am still looking forward to our next travel adventures.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment