Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Thursday 14 June 2012

June 12 - Portage La Prairie & Brandon, MB

June 12 was the date for two walks – Portage La Prairie and Brandon – and I enjoyed them both. In Portage, I was most impressed by the audible signals at the traffic lights. This was especially significant because I began this walk by myself.  Lyle and Ron had driven to the end point and began walking from the other direction to meet me.

Are you wondering about Ron? Well, Ron is a member of the Ponoka Support Group and he has now been with us for seven of the White Cane Connections walks. I have received encouragement from many people for the White Cane project, but I do need to make a special mention of Ron. His friendship and commitment to the cause of white cane awareness have been huge.

Following is a picture of Ron and myself outside the Portage Public Library. I might add that this library also houses copies of my books in its collection.  To date, it is the only library in Manitoba to do so.

                         
In this next photo Ron and I are relaxing over coffee.

 
In Brandon, the White Cane Connections walkers convened at the Riverbank Discovery Centre. What an amazing place!  Lyle and I had arrived early and had time to explore the many displays inside the building where we learned about the history of past floods and enjoyed the displays of flora and fauna.

When the time came for the walk we struck off with a group of nine, including three white cane users. It was a beautiful day and we were able to walk without difficulty along the paved trails of the centre. The walk itself wasn’t a long one, but the conversation was stimulating. I like these walks where there is an opportunity to talk with everyone and to share some of our common experiences about vision loss. Following is a picture of some of our group.
                              

The Brandon Sun reporter and photographer were also there for this walk, and you can follow some of their comments at the link posted below. You will need to scroll through the ten “Top Photos” to find the one of the White Cane Connections walk.


Tomorrow we are headed back to Alberta for more walks there.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful that Ron can join you. Could not find the article as it only brought up June 15th stories.

    ReplyDelete