Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Tuesday 26 June 2012

June 25 - Cochrane, AB

Today’s walk began from the Nan Boothby Library in Cochrane. This library has a special regard for library clients who have visual challenges.  Zoomtext, an audible large print program with voice overlay has been installed at one computer station. I was impressed! Not many libraries have this particular accommodation. Personally I use JAWS, a screen reading program that eliminates the need for the use of a monitor or a mouse. Everything that I type is read back to me. I am also able to hear my emails. I find all this quite amazing.

As a library client, I am an avid reader.  Usually I read (or listen to) an average of two books per week. However, this week it might only be one.  I am reading Sea Biscuit, which has a listening time of over twenty hours.  

The recording and distribution of audio books and other material has greatly enhanced the lives of many print disabled people. Unfortunately, there are far fewer audio books then there are printed versions. Some audio books are available only in a condensed version while many, many other books are only available in print.

Tomorrow our walk starts from the museum in Vernon, but this is only one block away from the new library facility so I am eager to check this out as well. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment