Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Sunday 17 June 2012

June 16 - Medicine Hat, AB

Our time in Medicine Hat has been super. It all began yesterday when I had an opportunity for a spot on the local radio station – CHAT 94.5 FM. Our friend, Norma had arranged this prior to our arrival and it was all great fun and a wonderful chance to share some of the news about the White Cane Connections project. I might add that I was more than a little nervous, but the radio hosts, Jim and Lexi were excellent and my few minutes on air went without a hitch. The following picture shows the three of us in the broadcasting studio.


Last night Norma and Norm had invited us and a few other friends for dinner. Of course it was wonderful to be with old friends, but I also couldn’t help but admire Norma’s capabilities as hostess. Norma is practically without any sight but had still managed to prepare a super meal and create a relaxed atmosphere for her guests. As we sat around the table, laughing and sharing stories, I wished that I had had our camera with us. Of the seven of us at the table, four of us were either blind or partially sighted, but I would have challenged you to guess just who was who.

The walk today was also great in spite of somewhat windy conditions. I was impressed with the audible signals at all of the traffic lights in the downtown section where we walked. Congratulations Medicine Hat! I gather that this upgrade to accessibility has been a recent push on behalf of the city and I can only say – Well done!

There were 11 of us on the walk itself - 3 with canes and 2 with guide dogs. We made an impressive crowd in the downtown sector and I certainly hope that the walk made its imprint on other citizens who saw our small parade. In the picture below you can see Joaquin, Norma with her German Shepherd Juanita, Megan with her Black Lab Gage, George, and Sue.


1 comment:

  1. You are becoming a celebrity, with the media coverage. See you soon.

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete