Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Saturday 2 June 2012

June 1 - Saskatoon, SK

Today was our first foray into the province of Saskatchewan and there seemed to be white canes tapping every which way I listened. As we gathered in the entryway of the Saskatoon CNIB Office, Gerry welcomed us to the walk. Serena, president of the white Cane Club brought greetings and Lee, Saskatoon CNIB office manager read a brief history of the white cane. Then we set off walking, some striding, some straggling, but all of us ready for the venture. Several of the CNIB staff tried on blindfolds or simulator glasses and used borrowed white canes. Lyle counted twenty-five of us at the beginning of the walk and four more showed up as we crossed the finish line. 

Probably the main topic of conversation was the Trekker Breeze. I was wearing mine, Gerry was using his and there was another on loan from the CNIB office. A number of the walkers took turns in trying out this handy location device. 

At the end of the walk, most of us reconvened and some of the sighted staff shared their feelings about being blindfolded and relying on the cane or a sighted guide. Bill mentioned that he felt the tension in his leg muscles. It was a feeling that I easily identified with. For me, the tension seems to come from the necessity to concentrate on where I am at any given moment.  Today, Lyle guided someone wearing a blindfold.  As a guide, he too felt the need to concentrate.

Thanks to everyone who participated and thanks to Gerry for organizing the afternoon.  It was a great opportunity for white cane users to connect with each other.

The picture below shows a number of the group at the starting point of the walk.  Lyle counted nine white canes in the picture.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you had a good turn out.I found it interesting that the brain would send a signal to the legs, to cause cramping.In other words, legs watch where I am going and legs need to concentrate harder.

    ReplyDelete