Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Friday 1 June 2012

May 30 - Wainwright, AB

It was a lovely day for a walk on Wednesday and there were ten of us who left the Battle River Lodge in Wainwright to go for a short stroll. The walking pace was leisurely, but the conversation was lively. In fact, after our walk we continued to chat over coffee for the next hour or so. Mostly we talked about vision loss, but we also discussed the added challenge when loss of sight is combined with loss of hearing.  At the invitation of Donna, Activities Coordinator at the lodge, Lyle and I stayed on for lunch.  Lyle enjoyed a conversation with Don about their mutual love of flying.  Don was a pilot of a Wellington bomber during the war and he had many stories to tell about his experiences. 

I know that I shouldn’t get into the habit of mentioning names, but I think that I would be remiss if I didn’t add that Pearl has now broken the age record of my walking companions with White Cane Connections. Pearl walked and talked with us and not for a moment did I guess that she was 96 and would soon celebrate her 97th birthday.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Wainwright.

1 comment:

  1. Some how I missed reading this walk. Wow I hope when I am 96 I can just move let alone go for a walk. I enjoy it when you add names to people it makes it more personal.I looked at the pictures of Saskatoon and found Ada.

    ReplyDelete