Welcome to White Cane Connections.

My name is Sue Boman. Yes, that’s me in the picture posted here. I have called this blog White Cane Connections because I am one of the many people who use a white cane. I began this blog because I wanted to write about a project I undertook in 2012. The plan was to complete a series of walks using my white cane. Between March and September, I walked in 82 different locations across Canada. So, the blog begins by telling of my experiences and the many people I met along the way.

While this particular journey has now been completed, I find that I still have much to write about. I am continuing to make new white cane connections, and so for the time being I will continue to add regular posts to this blog. I am hoping that you will be a partner in the journey.

Sue


Monday 11 June 2012

June 11 - Winnipeg, MB

Weatherwise, it was a wet and windy walk in Winnipeg today, but that didn’t dampen the spirits of the nine walkers. I. C. Clearly was the star of the show and possibly the warmest of us all in his fuzzy costume.  I. C. Clearly is the new Winnipeg CNIB mascot. He came into being this year just in time for the CNIB events of Vision Health month in May.  Basically, the mascot is a big carrot with the names of his sponsors on front and back. 

I had to smile a bit at the carrot image.  My father was in the Australian Air Force during World War II and the daily menu always included carrots.  After the end of the war, Dad was quite determined that he had eaten his full share of the orange carrots and would never need to eat another in his entire lifetime. Certainly carrots are a good food source for vision health, but as we now know, so are many other vegetables. 

The picture below is of I. C. Clearly, myself and Tracy, one of the other white cane walkers.


 The second picture is of a sign that Ron spotted while we were walking down Portage Avenue. It read “Blinds Are Beautiful”.  We thought it was quite appropriate for the White Cane Connections Winnipeg walk. 


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the video. Glad you told me the mascot was a carrot, it was good that the temperature was not hot as it looks like a very hot costume to wear.

    ReplyDelete